2. Serving Productive Time: Stories, Poems, and Tips to Inspire Positive Change from Inmates, Prison Staff, and Volunteers – Tom Lagana and Laura Lagana
This is one of the great motivational books for prisoners because it is about extraordinary people who have taken tangible steps to reach out and help others in the same shoes. It would help readers appreciate freedom and not make the mistakes they made in the past. It teaches one to learn how to use their time wisely.
3. How To Survive Prison For The First Time Inmate: Take a Look at a Dangerous Society Within our Society – William Mitchell and Dolores Dapp
The author spent 17 years in prison and he was first jailed at the age of 17 years old. He had been involved in very dangerous crimes. If you are going to prison or already in prison, this is one of those must read books for prisoners because it gives a clear picture of ones own situation.
4. Shattered: Lessons in Survival & Strength: One Woman’s Journey Through Accepting Guilt, Surviving Prison, and Finding Strength on the Other Side – Jessica Rasdall
In this great self help book for prisoners, the author talks about bad decisions and how it led to the death of her friend in college. She talks about how she transformed from murderer to a survivor. There is that point in everyone’s life when everything changes and one has to face the consequences of the choices we make.
5. The Power of Conviction: My Wrongful Conviction 18 Years in Prison and the Freedom Earned Through Forgiveness and Faith (Morgan James Faith) – James C Tillman and Jeff Kimball.
This story is about the power of conviction and how James Tillman was wrongly convicted for over 18 years. It gives inspiration to people who are facing a tough time and to remind them that they are not alone. One of the best christian books for prisoners, the message in this book gives hope and gives people a reminder of forgiveness and redemption.
6. Success After Prison: How I Built Assets Worth $1,000,000 Within Two Years of Release of 26 Years Inside (And How You Can Succeed, Too!) – Michael G Santos
Michael G Santos talks about the bad decisions at the age of 20. He sold cocaine and served 26 years in federal prisons. He says after he went out of prison, his credit score was zero but it did not stop him from being a homeowner. He mentions the decisions he made during his 26 years in prison and how he began to think of income opportunities.
7. Humbled ~ Letters From Prison – Jason Williams
NBA All-Star Jason Williams humbled himself in his personal letter s and journals while he was in prison. Considered one of the top encouraging books for prisoners, this reveals shocking events, shameful secrets, and scars that God alone can heal. He held back nothing about his experience and his faith in God.
8. From Federal Prison To First Lady – Tamika Riley McReynolds and Shade green Publishing
The author writes about the journey of a black woman who grew up to become an accomplished entrepreneur. She got involved with a powerful man and narrates the consequences she had to face in order to fight her way out of an unhealthy situation to live a life of purpose by the grace of God. This is one of those stories that readers don't soon forget, making it one of the best inspirational books for prisoners.
9. From Prison to the Penthouse: 12 Steps to a Successful Life After Prison – Myrio Lemons
The author had a life of his dreams and had a mother who did her best to give them a normal life to keep them away from the streets. But this lavish lifestyle did not last and his life changed. One bad deal changed the course of his life. This book will leave you intrigued and teach you the lessons of survival, and redemption in real life issues.
10. Emotional Stability During Incarceration: Achieving and Maintaining Emotional Stability In Prison With The Help of Motivational Quotes and Positive Affirmations – Shashi K Agarwal M.D
This rounds out the top 10 books for prisoners because there are a lot of people with unstable minds in society because of various unpleasant and hurtful experiences that life sometimes brings. As a result, one has to improve their self-esteem especially when leaving prison. Positive thinking, self-confidence, and emotional stability are necessary to live a very successful life. This book gives positive affirmations to give readers a positive character.
Doing Time With God is one of the best inspirational books for inmates, but it is also much more than that. While inspiration is a key factor in opening us up to reach our highest potential, lasting change takes place through motivation that comes from within. All the motivating and inspiring words in the world can be used to motivate someone, but unless they penetrate the hearts and minds of a reader who is open to change, the words won’t take hold and have a lasting impact as far as changed behavior.
The stories in Doing Time With God contain this penetrating factor because prisoners can see themselves in the stories; therefore, they can experience this book in their body (emotionally), mind (understanding), and heart (spiritually). This enables positive motivation for change to be ignited from the inside-out, making it one of the best motivational books for prisoners.